Everything you need to know from the basics through advanced features
Share Assessment in a Learning Management System or Membership Portal
There are a few different approaches to monetizing or restricting access to your assessment:
- Embed your assessment on a page that is behind a paywall. For example, you can embed your assessment on page in WordPress or in popular learning management systems such as Kajabi, Teachable, and Thinkific. This approach is the subject of this article. Keep reading to learn more!
- Use Digital Access Codes to limit access to your assessment. You can either generate and send codes manually, or sell your assessment in your web store and send codes automatically when a purchase is made.
You can restrict access to your assessment to authorized users by placing it inside a Learning Management System (such as Kajabi or Thinkific) or membership portal. In this tutorial, we explore how to set up a membership portal in WordPress. If you want to monetize your assessment, you can optionally configure your site to require visitors to purchase access to the membership portal.
Here’s how we’ll go about restricting access to your assessment. This tutorial assumes that you’ll be selling access, but if you simply want to limit access to authorized users, you can skip the steps involving WooCommerce products.
- Use WooCommerce to create products and accept payments.
- When a respondent buys your assessment, we’ll use Woocommerce memberships to grant the respondent a membership on your site.
- That membership will give them access to a page on your site where your assessment is embedded.
What You’ll Need
In addition to your WordPress site, you’ll need three plugins:
- Woocommerce (free) allows you to create products and accept payments on your site.
- The Woocommerce Memberships extension ($199) works with Woocommerce to provide your buyers with a membership on your site after they purchase your assessment.
- The Advanced Iframes plugin (free) allows you to embed your assessment on a page in your WordPress site.
- (Optional) The Woocommerce Custom Thank You Pages extension ($49) will direct your respondents to your assessment after they complete their purchase.
Install each of those plugins on your WordPress site.
Configure WooCommerce and Create Your Product
Save the page. If you visit the page now, you should be able to view and take your assessment.
Restrict Your Assessment to Paid Members
Next, we’ll use the Woocommerce Membership plugin to ensure that only paid respondents may access your assessment. Open the WooCommerce menu in the left navigation of your WordPress site, and click “Memberships.”
Next, click the “Membership Plans” tab and “Add Membership Plan.”
Give your Membership Plan a name, and set the “Grant access upon” option to “product(s) purchase”. In the “Products” field, start typing the name of the product you created earlier and select that product.
When someone buys the product, they’ll be given membership to your site.
Next, we need to restrict the page where your assessment lives so that it’s visible only to members.
Select the “Restrict Content” tab, set “Type” to “Pages,” and start typing the title of your assessment page in the Title box. When your page appears, select it.
Click “Publish” to save changes to your membership site.
Now we need to provide the customer with a link to the assessment after they make their purchase. There are a number of ways to do this.
If this is the only product on your site, you can edit the order confirmation page to include a link to your assessment page. The order confirmation page is created automatically by Woocommerce and is listed among your other WordPress pages.
If you have more than one product on your site, or if you’d like to send your respondents directly to your assessment after their purchase, you can use the Woocommerce Custom Thank You Pages extensions ($49). Alternatively, this blog post describes a number of other free and paid options.
A paid assessment can be a great way to generate income from your expertise, and we hope this guide has helped you get started.
If you need additional assistance setting this up, your web developer may be able to help.
If you’re not currently working with a developer we offer consulting services and will be happy to provide you with a free, no-obligation quote. Contact us to learn more.